An allocation of €8 million has been made available for a new initiative to promote training activities held between 19th April 2017 and 30th June 2020. Investing in Skills falls under Malta’s Operational Programme II of the ESF - ‘Investing in human capital to create more opportunities and promote the well-being of society’ for the 2014-2020 programming period.
To promote the training of persons actively participating in the Maltese Labour Market with the aim to increase productivity and enhance adaptability.
Rules and Conditions:
Full details on Investing in Skills are incorporated in the Implementation and Guidance Notes. Funds will be allocated on a first come first served basis subject to calendar year total ceilings. Original applications must be received by the Investing in Skills Unit at least three weeks (twenty one calendar days) before the start date of training.
- Complete documentation - The Applicant shall fill in and submit the latest available Investing in Skills Application Form found on the Jobsplus website, complete with all the relevant details and enclosing supporting documentation, as applicable. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for processing;
- Falls within the definition of an undertaking;
- Project implemented within or for the direct benefit of the eligible territory;
- Incentive Effect: Aid shall be considered to have an incentive effect if the Beneficiary has submitted a written application for the aid before work on the project or activity starts. Therefore, claim and proof of deliverables should be dated after the submission date of the IIS application;
- Eligible Training Programme: Aid shall not be granted for training which beneficiaries carry out to comply with National Mandatory Standards on training (in other words, it must be voluntary training as opposed to legally enforced training). Furthermore, Information Sessions and Team Building events are not eligible under Investing in Skills since these are not considered as training;
- The trainee needs to be formally employed with the beneficiary during the training period. Apprentices or students engaged in vocational training with an apprenticeship or vocational training contract are not eligible;
- Aid cannot be granted to any Undertaking found to be in difficulty. Jobsplus will conduct checks to ensure that every applicant Undertaking is financially sound.
Subsidy on Training Costs:
The Standard Scale of Unit Cost to be applied in INVESTING in SKILLS is € 25 per trainee per hour subject to the cappings indicated below.
Jobsplus will reimburse the unit cost based on the training hours actually attended by each trainee to a maximum of 25 hours for non-accredited training.
If training is accredited by the NCFHE (National Commission for Further and Higher Education), ITS (Institute of Tourism Studies), UOM (University of Malta) and MCAST (Malta College of Arts, Science & Technology) the capping of 25 hours will not be applied. In this case, the IB will reimburse each trainee to the maximum of contact hours approved by the NCFHE, ITS, UOM or MCAST.
In the case of Distance Learning or e-Learning, reimbursement will be calculated on the number of hours indicated by the training service provider using the Standard Scale of Unit cost up to a maximum of 25 hours for non-accredited training. In the case of accredited training, the reimbursement will be based on the number of hours indicated by the NCFHE or the training service provider in the case of self-accredited institutions.
All training aid is capped to 8 hours per day to a maximum of 40 hours per week and under no circumstances can Jobsplus reimburse more than 15 trainees for the same training, irrespective if these claims derive from separate and unrelated Beneficiaries.
Reimbursement will be calculated on the hours listed on certified attendance sheets, when using the Standard Scale of Unit Cost of € 25 per trainee per hour.
In the case of accredited training, MQF/EQF Levels 1- 5 will be accepted under Investing in Skills.
Subsidy on Air Travel Costs:
Travel costs will be based on the Erasmus Plus Grant Support for the mobility of staff. Beneficiaries are to calculate the distance through the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/resources_en#tab-1-4 (for Malta please type Luqa, Malta).
Subsidy on Trainee Wage Costs:
A Standard Scale of Unit Cost of € 4.90 per trainee per hour will be applied for external training that occurs during the normal working hours of the trainees.
Minimum Application Thresholds:
Minimum 100% eligible training aid costs per application; The total eligible cost per application should be a minimum of €500 in the case of Medium and Large Undertakings. In the case of Small or Micro Undertakings, this threshold is set at €200.
The following co-financing rate will be applied on the total eligible costs:
LARGE: Number of employees exceeds 250
MEDIUM: Number of employees not exceeding 250 persons and Annual Turnover not exceeding € 50m and/or Annual Balance Sheet Total not exceeding €43m
SMALL: Number of employees fewer than 50 persons and Annual Turnover and/or Annual Balance Sheet Total not exceeding € 10m
MICRO: Number of employees less than 10 persons and Annual Balance Sheet total not exceeding € 2m
Applicants should submit an original and complete Investing in Skills Application Form together with the supporting documentation as per IIS Implementation and Guidance Notes and listed hereunder:
- Complete Application Form;
- Training Schedule Template duly filled in;
- Training Programme Template with detailed course content which is to be filled in by the training service provider;
- Financial estimates/latest Tax Return Form and Income Statement (Profit and Loss Account) (where applicable). Please refer to section 2.2.2 of the IIS Implementation and Guidance Notes.
Other Documentation may be required at any time for additional verification purposes.
IIS Application Stage Documentation
- Implementation and Guidance Notes
- Application Form
- Training Programme Template
- Training Schedule Template
- IIS Delegation of Authority
IIS Implementation Stage Documentation
IIS Reimbursement Stage Documentation
- Request for Reimbursement - For applications submitted until 30th November 2017
- Request for Reimbursement - For applications submitted 01st December 2017 onwards
- Trainee Wage Cost Calculator
- Financial Identification Form (TRS-9)
IIS List of Beneficiaries
EU Funded Schemes Division
Investing in Skills Scheme
Hal Far Road
Hal Far BBG 3000
Telephone of person responsible: 22201305
Email address of person responsible: email@example.com
Generic telephone number: 22201300
Generic email address: firstname.lastname@example.org