Foreign Nationals Employment Trends

Under this section one can find detailed information on employment trends in the Maltese Islands of non-Maltese nationals based on information available at Jobsplus. Further analysis on latest information published is also made available here.  All information displayed in this section is available for download

Information available in this section includes:

Foreign Nationals Employment Trends

All Foreign Nationals Employed in Malta & Gozo

 1.1  Type of Employment of Foreign Nationals (2012-2022)  
 1.2  Share of Foreign Employment by Continent Origin (Dec 2022)  
 1.3  Detailed Employment of Foreign Nationals segmented by Gender, Nationality and Employment Type (2012-2022)

Employment of EU Nationals 

 2.1  Top 10 Nationalities of Employed EU Nationals (2012-2022)  
 2.2  Employed EU Nationals by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-2022)  
 2.3  Employed EU Nationals by Economic Sector (2012-2022) 
 2.4  Employed EU Nationals by Major Occupation Group (2012-2022)

Employment of Third Country Nationals 

 3.1  Top 10 Nationalities of Employed Third Country Nationals (2012-2022)  
 3.2  Employed Third Country Nationals by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-22)  
 3.3  Employed Third Country Nationals by Economic Sector (2012-22) 
 3.4  Employed Third Country Nationals by Major Occupation Group (2012-22)
 3.5  Employed Asylum Applicants and Beneficiaries of Protection by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-2022)

 

All Foreign Nationals Employed in Malta & Gozo

1.1 Type of Employment of Foreign Nationals (2012-2022)

Employed foreign nationals in Malta and Gozo at the end of 2022 amounted to 96,970. Since the joining of the Maltese Islands in the European Union, employment of foreign nationals increased drastically. EU member states share 36% of total foreign employment, Third Country Nationals (TCNs) share 63% of total foreign employment; and EFTA countries (such as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) share 1% of total foreign employment.

 

As at end of December 2022, almost 90% of employed EU nationals were in full-time employment, while the remaining 10% were employed as part-time. 97% of TCNs were in full-time employment and 3% were in part-time employment.

Note: As at end Dec 20 the number of employed EU nationals decreased while the number of employed TCNs increased. This shift mainly resulted since the United Kingdom left the EU. For statistical purposes as from February 2020 the United Kingdom is classified as TCN.

 

Foreign Nationals Employment Trend (2012-22) 
Type of Employment (2012-22)



Download Chart:              Download data:  


1.2 Share of Foreign Employment by Continent Origin 

The below chart illustrates the share of foreign employment by continent of origin as at end Dec 22. Data from 2012 till 2022 by Continent origin can be downloaded from below.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Share of Foreigner Employment (2012-22)

Download Chart:              Download data:  




1.3 Detailed Employment of Foreign Nationals segmented by Gender, Nationality & Employment type 

The following data download includes information on foreign nationals employed in Malta and Gozo between 2012 and 2022. The data is segmented by gender, nationality and employment type. For ease of reference to data users, data has been segmented as well by country of origin (classified into continents). 

 

 

 Download data:  




Employment of EU Nationals in Malta & Gozo

In the following tables, EU Nationals will include: (a) those persons originating from EU Member States including  their dependents who could be third country nationals; and (b) those persons who originate from EFTA countries and who therefore can be employed like EU Nationals based on the conditions agreed with the EU. 

2.1 Top 10 Nationalities of Employed EU Nationals (2012-2022)

The following illustration provides a trend of the top 10 employed EU nationalities over a period of a decade. Towards the end of 2022, the top-ranking EU nationals were those originating from Italy.                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                

                                                          
 
Top 10 EU Nationals (2012-22) 

Download Chart:              Download data:  


2.2 Employed EU Nationals by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-2022)

Employed EU nationals are segmented as 58% males and 42% females. 68% of all EU nationals are aged between 30-54 years; followed by 15% in the 25-29 age cohort. Over the period under review, all the age cohorts have been increasing as the influx of EU nationals increased.

 EU Nationals by Sex (2012-22)
EU by age (12-22)

Download Chart:                  Download data:  


2.3 Employed EU Nationals by Economic Sector (2012-2022)

EU nationals are mainly employed (22%) in the Professional, Scientific, Technical, Administration and Support Service Activities sector; the Wholesale & Retail Trade; Transportation & Storage (20%); the Arts, Entertainment and Recreation sector (18%); and the Accommodation and Food Services Activities sector (11%). 

 
EU by Sector (2012-22)

Download Chart:            Download data:  


2.4 Employed EU Nationals by Main Occupation Group (2012-2022)

EU nationals are mainly employed in occupations relating to the top five major groups of the ISCO-08 coding, namely: Clerks and Support Workers (22%); Service and Sales workers (14%); Professionals (18%); Managerial grades (14%); and Technical and Associate Professional Groups (16%). Over the past decade, these five major occupation groups have varied in their shares of total EU nationals employed in Malta and Gozo. 

EU by Occupation (2012-22) 

Download Chart:            Download data:  



Employment of Third Country Nationals in Malta & Gozo

In the following tables, Third Country Nationals will include: (a) those persons originating from non-EU Member States and who entered the Islands in a legal manner; and (b) those persons who are termed as irregular migrants, which consist of beneficiaries of national and international protection, Asylum Seekers and failed Asylum Seekers). 

3.1 Top 10 Nationalities of Employed Third Country Nationals (2012-2022)

The following illustration provides a trend of the top 10 employed Third Country Nationals over a period of a decade. Towards the end of 2022, the top ranking TCNs were those originating from India.                                                                                                                          

Top 10 TCNs (2012-22) 

Download Chart:              Download data:  


3.2 Employed Third Country Nationals by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-2022)

Employed Third Country Nationals are segmented as 65% males and 35% females. 65% of all Third Country Nationals are aged between 30-54 years; followed by 22% in the 25-29 age cohort. Over the period under review, all the age cohorts have been increasing as the influx of TCNs increased.

 TCNs by Sex (2012-22)
TCNs by Age Cohort (2012-22)




Download Chart:                  Download data:  


3.3 Employed Third Country Nationals by Economic Sector (2012-2022)

Third Country Nationals are mainly employed (27%) in the Professional, Scientific, Technical, Administration and Support Service Activities sector; Accommodation and food service activities (15%); Construction (13%); and the Wholesale & Retail Trade; Transportation & Storage; Information & Communication sector (17%).

 
TCN by Sector (2012-22)

Download Chart:            Download data:  


3.4 Employed Third Country Nationals by Main Occupation Group (2012-2022)

Third Country Nationals are mainly employed in jobs relating to Elementary occupations (30%). The next major occupation groups in which TCNs are mainly employed include: Service and Sales workers (22%); Craft and related Trade Workers (11%); Technical and Associate Professionals (9%);and in Professional grades (9%). 

TCNs by Occupation (2012-22) 

Download Chart:            Download data:  


3.5 Employed Asylum Applicants and Beneficiaries of Protection by Gender and Age Cohorts (2012-2022)

Employed Asylum Applicants and Beneficiaries of Protection have increased over the past decade. As at end 2022, 89% were males whilst the remaining 11% were females. The majority of these migrants are aged between 30-54 years (65%).

Asylum Applicants and Beneficiaries of Protection includes migrants classified as: Asylum Seekers, Temporary Humanitarian Protection, Subsidiary Protection and Refugees.                                                                                                                                                                        

 
by sex
 
by age
by trend

Download Chart:              Download data: